Protecting the things you’ve worked hard for is very important. What’s even more important is protecting your family and your possessions, making home security more important than ever.
Here are 5 tips to help make your home as safe as possible, which will hopefully give you a little peace of mind!
- Outdoors – Minimise possible threats to your property by ensuring the integrity of boundary walls, hedges and fences. Add bolts or padlocks to any gates onto your property. Keep areas outside your property clear and tidy to avoid providing cover for any approaching, unwanted visitors.
- Burglar Bars – Apart from their obvious beauty and style, burglar bars do perform an important function and really help add to your home’s security! It is important, however, to take into consideration having an emergency exit from your home in case of fire or similar unfortunate event. This would usually take the form of a mini gate or flap being put within an existing burglar bar and then being secured by a bolt and padlock. It seems fairly obvious to say not to leave the key to the padlock on show and within arms reach of the window it locks. Equally though, the key should be nearby and easily accessible in case of emergency.
- Dogs – They are great companions and are often also considered family, but never underestimate the deterrent they pose to any unwanted visitors. Their ability to hear the slightest sound or recognise an unfamiliar person near your property adds an old-fashioned early warning system to your home. It is also important to keep an eye out for your dogs general behaviour as there is a sad-but-true recent trend of drugging, and sometimes poisoning, dogs to allow intruders access to properties they intend to burgle.
- Security Technology – although it can be costly, security system technology has really advanced in recent years from doorbell webcams to automated systems that lock all your doors remotely. At a more cost-effective level, motion detection sensors and CCTV cameras are extremely effective, as is a ‘Beware of the Dog’ sign – whether you actually have one or not! In the same vein, a ‘this property is protected by so and so security company’ window sticker or house sign can work too!
- Neighbourhood Watch – A watchful eye is one of the best measures to protect your home. Knowing that your neighbours are looking out for one another and are willing to help you protect your home gives you that great comfort and also builds a sense of community. Find out if one already exists in your neighbourhood or, if not, start one! This doesn’t necessarily mean organising town-hall style meetings, simply creating a WhatsApp group whereby your neighbours can raise the flag of any suspicious or unwanted behaviour in the area, can be extremely effective in reducing crime.
In summary, it is critically important to protect your home, your loved ones, and the things you have worked so very hard for. Visit BestQuoteBB.com today and let us find you additional protection in the form of the best home insurance coverage for your building and contents.